Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Video Project 2: Fly Dye Apparel


Dan Williams
Video Project 2
Fly Dye Apparel
Erica Parker


For my second video project I had originally decided that I wanted to shoot, edit, and create a video of my last and final Spring Day as a senior at Lyndon State College. Since my parents blessed me with younger siblings I came home late Tuesday to find that all of my shots had been recorded over by lip-syncing to Demi Levato and thirteen year old girl giggles.
I racked my brain on how and if it was possible to come up with something different that I was just as passionate about. I began to think of my friends and family, upcoming graduation and future goals. That is when Fly Dye came to my mind. Fly Dye apparel is a screen-print clothing line a close friend of mine created a few months back and I have gotten the privilege and pleasure of watching this dream of his progressively evolve. I have watched triumphs and failures, seen torn shirts and paint splattered jackets. I immediately knew that this was something that was going to be a great success. My friend, Taylor, his passion to screen-print is admirable and provoked my curiosity to learn more about this art medium.
My goal for my video was to capture small town adults rising into the local business realm. I wanted to give Fly Dye the exposure I think it deserves, and was eager to hear the point of view of a young adult trying to break into a close knit local business community. With Vermont being in the top 5 places in the United States to produce local products, I used what I previously knew about this type of community and opened my mind to others of my own generation and the struggle they may or not be facing and the influence that this has on other young adults.
I got exactly what I bargained for, my original video was 5:06 long after first edits! I was swallowed by the drive and motivation it takes to get the same amount of respect and recognition as a serious business entrepreneur. In the end I got to get the real story behind a business I have been supporting since the first edition shirts were made, I received a sneak peak into what it takes to physically make a screen-print shirt and ultimately made a video that can be used for personal or professional leverage.



  

No comments:

Post a Comment